TRICARE Young Adult Eligibility
TRICARE Young Adult is a premium-based health care plan available for purchase by qualified dependents. TRICARE Young Adult offers TRICARE Standard coverage worldwide and includes medical and pharmacy benefits. TRICARE Prime coverage will be available for purchase at a later date.
Note: If you qualify for TRICARE Young Adult, dental coverage is excluded. You will not be able to purchase the TRICARE Dental Program or TRICARE Retiree Dental Program.
Qualifying for TRICARE Young Adult
You may qualify to purchase TRICARE Young Adult coverage if you are:
- A dependent of an eligible uniformed service sponsor
- If your sponsor is a non-activated member of the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve or of the Retired Reserve, your sponsor must be enrolled in TRICARE Reserve Select or TRICARE Retired Reserve for you to be eligible to purchase TRICARE Young Adult coverage.
- At least age 21 but not yet 26 years old (Note: If you are enrolled in a full course of study at an approved institution of higher learning and your sponsor provides 50 percent of your financial support, your eligibility may not begin until age 23 or upon graduation, whichever comes first.)
- Not eligible to enroll in an employer-sponsored health plan
- Not otherwise eligible for TRICARE program coverage
For more information, please visit tricare.mil.