Getting Your Uniformed Services ID Card

No matter what type of Uniformed Services ID Card you receive, you must follow all three steps listed below:

Step 1: Sponsorship & Eligibility

In order to receive a Uniformed Services ID Card, you must have a sponsor. This sponsor is authorized to create your profile and guide you through the process. If you are a dependent, an active duty or retired service member will be your sponsor.

Step 2: Registration & Enrollment

All potential holders of the Uniformed Services ID Card must register in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). To do this, you will need to fill out DD Form 1172-2.

If you are a dependent, an active duty or retired service member must take action to register you and ensure you are correctly entered in DEERS. The service member may also need to complete parts of DD Form 1172-2.

Step 3: Obtaining Your Card

You must visit a Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS) site for final verification and processing. If you are a dependent, your sponsor may need to accompany you, unless your DD Form 1172-2 has been signed in front of the Verifying Official, signed by the sponsor and notarized, or signed using a general Power of Attorney.

When you and your sponsor go to a RAPIDS site, you must bring two forms of ID in original form. At least one form of ID must be a valid state or federal government-issued picture identification (for example, passport, driver's license, or current CAC).

While you are at the RAPIDS site, expect to have your fingerprints taken and to be biometrically scanned for identifying characteristics.

If you encounter a problem obtaining your new card at the RAPIDS site, and the problem is related to vetting, please follow up with your sponsor to update your DEERS profile. If the problem is related to your record in DEERS, please follow up with your direct supervisor or your personnel hiring office.