Managing Your Uniformed Services ID Card

With a Uniformed Services ID Card, you will be able to access military service benefits or privileges.  The information on this page should help you understand how to use and maintain your card.


Using Your Card

If you are a dependent of a Service member and the Service member is called to active duty for 31 days or more, you and your sponsor should fill out a DD Form 1172-2.  This application, along with the surrender of DD Form 1173-1, will allow dependents to receive the DD Form 1173.  This card is needed to gain access to medical benefits and continued access to commissary, exchange, MWR, and other privileges.


Keeping Your Uniformed Services ID Card Secure

You are responsible for keeping your ID card in good condition, and you are the only person allowed to use the card.  Any person willfully altering, damaging, lending, counterfeiting, or using these cards in an unauthorized manner is subject to fine or imprisonment or both.  Unauthorized or fraudulent use of ID cards would exist if bearers used the card to obtain benefits and privileges to which they are not entitled.  Examples of authorized photocopying include photocopying of DoD ID cards to facilitate medical care processing, check cashing, voting, tax matters, compliance with appendix 501 of title 50, U.S.C. (also known as "The Servicemember's Civil Relief Act"), or administering other military-related benefits to eligible beneficiaries.


Replacing Your Card

If you lose your Uniformed Services ID Card, you should go to the nearest Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS) site and obtain your new card.  You can use the RAPIDS Site Locator to find your nearest RAPIDS site.


Updating Information on Your Card

Updating information on your card starts with updating information in DEERS.  Once you are registered in DEERS, you are responsible for keeping your DEERS records updated when your personal eligibility information changes.  This includes changes in military career status, addresses, and family status (marriage, divorce, birth, and adoption).

To update DEERS information, you may call the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) Telephone Center at 1-800-538-9552 or for the Deaf (TTY/TDD): 1-866-363-2883, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Pacific Time, except federal holidays.  You can also visit the Tricare website.

You may also need your birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other official document to make updates to your DEERS records.


Renewing Your Card

If your Uniformed Services ID Card expires, you may go to the nearest RAPIDS site and obtain your new card or, if eligible, you may renew your card online.


Returning Your Card

All DoD ID cards are property of the U.S. Government and shall be returned upon separation, resignation, firing, termination of contract or affiliation with the DoD, or upon any other event in which the individual no longer requires the use of such ID card.

To prevent any unauthorized use, ID cards that are expired, invalidated, stolen, lost, or otherwise suspected of potential or actual unauthorized use shall be revoked in DEERS.