Getting your Uniformed Services ID (USID) Card

No matter what type of USID Card you receive, you must follow all three steps listed below:


Step 1: Sponsorship & Eligibility

In order to receive a USID Card, you must be or have a sponsor.  For example, if you are a Reserve or retired Service member, you are a sponsor; if you are a dependent, an active duty or retired Service member will be your sponsor.


Step 2: Registration & Enrollment

All potential cardholders must register in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).  To do this, you will need to complete a DD Form 1172-2.

If you are a dependent, an active duty or retired Service member must take action to register you in DEERS with the required eligibility documents.  Your sponsor may need to complete parts of the DD Form 1172-2.  For more information on eligibility documents, review the Pre-Arrival Checklist.


Step 3: Obtaining Your Card

You must visit a Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS) Site for final verification and processing.

If you are a sponsor, you must bring two forms of ID in original form.  At least one form of ID must be a valid State or Federal government-issued picture identification (for example, passport, driver's license, or current DoD ID card).

If you are a dependent, you must provide a completed DD Form 1172-2 and two forms of ID in original form.  The DD Form 1172-2 must be:

(1) Digitally signed and submitted using RAPIDS Self Service (available for sponsors with a CAC).  Although not required for ID card issuance, dependents may bring a printed copy of the digitally signed and submitted form;

(2) Signed by your sponsor in front of the Verifying Official at the RAPIDS Site;

(3) Signed by your sponsor and notarized.  A wet or digital signature is acceptable; or

(4) Signed using a general Power of Attorney.  A wet or digital signature is acceptable.

While at a RAPIDS Site, expect to have your picture taken.