Getting Your Common Access Card (CAC): For Contractors

The process for obtaining a CAC is slightly different for contractors because DoD policy requires an automated data feed to DEERS from an authorized personnel source.  That source is the Trusted Associate Sponsorship System (TASS).

Enrolling in the Trusted Associate Sponsorship System (TASS)

If you are a contractor, you must have a sponsor who launches the process of obtaining a CAC.  To do so, sponsors must work with Trusted Agents (TAs), who are responsible for enrolling contractors in TASS.  Contractors go through the same background investigation process that other CAC holders go through.

Learn more about background checks for CACs

Filling Out an Application in TASS

Once the TA has enrolled you in TASS, the TA will provide you with a user ID and password.  You must log into TASS within seven days of the application's approval and must complete the application for a CAC within 30 days of the initial login.  The TA will review the application and either approve or deny it.

If contractors have problems receiving a user ID or password or need to reset a user ID or password, they are advised to contact their TA.  If they do not know who their TA is, they should contact their contracting officer.

Obtaining a CAC

If approved, the contractor must go to a Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS) site for final verification and processing.

Learn more about identity and eligibility verification for CACs

Contractors must return their CACs to their TA at the completion or termination of a contract.